Many people I have talked to are surprised to learn that low testosterone by itself rarely causes erectile dysfunction, or ED. Typically having this hormone in lower levels, is not the single underlying factor. Usually, the biggest side effect of is tiredness and low sex drive.
What is Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
Testosterone is a hormone produced primarily in the testicles and impacts bone density, fat distribution, muscle strength and mass, facial and body hair, red blood cell production, sex drive and sperm production. When the body does not produce enough of it, this can be artificially introduced into the body.
How Does Testosterone Replacement Therapy Work?
Testosterone replacement is often administered through injections that are provided on a regimented schedule to maintain testosterone levels. Additionally, this may also come in the form of patches, gels, and pills.
What are the Possible Side-Effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
- may contribute to sleep apnea
- acne or other skin reactions
- stimulate noncancerous growth of the prostate
- growth of existing prostate cancer
- enlarge breasts
- limit sperm production or cause testicle shrinkage
- increase the risk of a blood clot forming in a deep vein, which could break loose
What are the Pros of Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
- increase in sexual desire
- more overall energy
What are the Cons of Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
- no benefit to people who have normal levels
- does not help with erectile dysfunction if that is the only symptom
- requires weekly – monthly injections
- can actually cause the body to produce even lower levels
Next week will be our last blog in the series of erectile dysfunction solutions! Get excited...I'm going to tell you about GAINSWave!
Missed our previous blogs about ED? Here are most recent blogs in this series:
If you have any questions or would like a Complimentary Consult with one of our amazing Pelvic Floor Specialists, please fill out the form below and our Clinic Director will contact you within 24 business hours